Saturday, February 15, 2014

February 15, 2014. The Queen Elizabeth. The Tudors.

The Tudors: The History of England from Henry VIII to Elizabeth I by Peter Ackroyd is a very interesting book, especially when travelling on The Queen Elizabeth ship. I have studied English history both in Canada and the US, but never in specific detail. I thought I knew quite a bit about the 16th and 17th Centuries but I now know a whole lot more detail, for good or ill. It was a terrible time. During this time period, England changed the religion, away from Roman Catholic to Protestant. It was bloody and it took a long time. My past history seemed to tell the story quickly, but this was not the case. The writing style is readable and breezy, which is a good thing because it certainly was bloody. I have never really favored the system of royalty. I have always hated the idea that you could be born into your position in life. We are enjoying riding in this ship, The Queen Elizabeth, but we would prefer the ship had another name. Reading this book reminds me all the reasons why I disapprove of the whole royal system. But I am delighted to be reading this book. It is a perfect book to be travelling on a royal ship but knowing that the Queen has no authority!!

No comments: