Sunday, January 4, 2009

January 4, 2008. Mexico. Reading and Drinking.

Today is a day of first events. Ken made us a cocktail we call 'a lime squeeze'. When you visit us here he will make you one, if he can remember how he made them. And for the first time this visit, we spent time down by the pool, reading in the shade under a little shed. It was late in the afternoon and even though the weather was beautifully warm, the water did not look appealing. I like to swim when the air is hot and to cool down you can go into the swimming pool, so as I was not inclined to mswim, after two hours of reading, we retreated to our own living room to continue our reading at home. Yesterday we rode to trolley and liked it so much we stayed on for two whole trips around the place. Quitoxo, a new Spanish tapas restaurant just opened in December, so we dined there last night. Great food and great service. The owner and his daughter are from Vancouver. This will be on our list of places to go when you come to visit.

One of my Christmas books from Dave and Irene is "The History of Love" by Nicole Krauss. I finished it yesterday, and a good read it is. Your wits need to be alert to keep up with the players. It seems in another of the second world war impacts on ordinary people. And I am almost finished with "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Shaffer and Barrows. Susan M. at work lent it to me and I am enjoying the writing and the humor. Once again, the place is just after the second world war, where Guernsey was occupied for five years or so. Both good reads, if you haven't read them already. Ken for Christmas has given me a gadget that allows you to read 200,000 books, all included on this little machine. You read it on a screen, held in your hand. Actually, he has one, but it hold only a few hundred books, so he gave me this new machine so he can borrow it from me when I am not using it. Now I have a stack of books on my side table by my bed, so now before I can turn on my new gadget, I must finish reading my big stack. Fortunately, delivery time will be in March, so perhaps I will have time to complete my task. Ken keeps several books on the go at any given time. Even here, he has a book by his chair in the living room, one by the bed and yet another on the bar. It is so interesting how many different patterns there are with reading. Mostly I start and then I finish, then I start another book

No comments: