Tuesday, January 6, 2009

January 6, 2009. Mexico. Lunch.

I love to have lunch there, sitting on the balcony overlooking the eighteenth hole. i am not sure just why I Ike it so much. Of course, the view is beautiful, looking all the way down the fairway and watching the golfers get in and out of the sand traps. And of course the weather is lovely, with the sky blue and the temperature 80 degrees. The birds amuse us there too. The sparrows peck on the dishes that are left by the waiters to be carried to the kitchen. We spotted the great Kiskadee from that balcony, and after we bought a bunch of books we have seen them every day. The food of course is excellent too, and after our exercise, we are always hungry. So put it all together and it adds up to a great place for lunch.

I really think that watching the golfers refuse to putt out the whole is the reason I like to sit and watch. And the other reason is watching so many golfers cheat. Now it makes no sense to me, but apparently it is common in the golf world to write down your score when you have never put the ball in the hole. This is not one inch from the hole. We see golfers pick up their ball when they are three feet away from the hole. Not being a golfer means I do not know the proper etiquette, but I know one thing, and that is the good golfers quit when they put the ball in the hole and then record their score. Ken says the reason they cheat is that the score does not matter, or they think they are holding the waiting golfers back from continuing their play. Being a bit of a purist, it seems to me that if you are going to play the game, all the rules should be in force. Maybe they have made up a house rules, that anything within three feet is considered to have finished the hole. I wanted to ask some of the golfers to see if those were their rules, but Ken kept me in check and said it was really none of my business whether they cheat at golf or not. He is right, but my goodness, from my observation, about eighty percent of the golfers that we watch when we have our lunch, cheat in one way or another. It is just amazing to me. And I think that is why I enjoy our lunch at the golf course so much.

1 comment:

dave buckley said...

When golfers pick up without holing out it is called a "Gimmee" and still counts as a stroke. Golf etiquette is that your playing partner has to agree to a gimmee. The partner will usually say "That's a gimmee" or you may ask your partner for a gimmee which they may or may not grant. So it is not cheating just to get a better score unless of course you give them to yourself to get a better score.

Having said that some golfers do cheat. I have played with some. Art Harris and I used to play often on a Friday afternoon with an SA officer. He also played without us on Saturday and would relate to us Sunday morning his wonderful score, much better than he ever got on Friday with us. We also used to play at Jackson's with a Danforth friend who couldn't count. Turned out later that he cheated at more than golf.

There endeth the first lesson.

Dave.