Saturday, March 1, 2014

February 28, 2014. Taihipe, New Zealand. Taranta Fishaway Lodge.

Never in a million years would we ever find Tarata Fishaway Lodge. But Aroha Tours knew. Ken and I are staying for two nights in our own two bedroom cottage, looking across at a cliff that rises 500 feet from the river. We have a magnificent view. Today we took a leisurely drive around the lake from Taipo, and up to the National Park, then through the Rangitikei Valley. Much to my surprise, we visited a ski hill, right in the midst of an extinct volcano. There were big black rocks everywhere and not a blade of grass or a tree in sight. The variation of the topography today was amazing. We are so fortunate that Jurgen was driving so we could enjoy the scenery. The drive from the main road brought us into canyon country, then up over the big hill, finally ending the journey driving on gravel roads, which the Kiwi’s call unsealed roads. Driving on the edge of a steep drop on washboard roads is not my style but as I was not in charge, I relaxed and enjoyed the scenery. I never expected to see such diversity of land in New Zealand, especially on the north island. This lodge is really a farm. The hosts, Trudi and Steve, raise sheep for a living. In addition, they run this tourist resort. Tomorrow we will take a rafting trip on the river. I am told it is a soft rafting trip. And tonight we dine with the hosts. I bet we will make merry. These Kiwi’s are friendly and fun!!

No comments: