Thursday, May 1, 2008

May 1, 2008. Family.

Today my sister turns 73. Other than my brother, who is older, my sister Carol has known me longer than any other person alive today. It is interesting to contemplate that Carol has seen every age and stage in my life. I have had the good fortune to have gotten along well with my brother and sister, not only when I was a child at home but also as an adult both single and married. My family background was English. Both my Mother and Father came to Canada with their respective families in the early years of the twentieth century. Of course they brought with them all the customs of the English Family. There was nothing exciting about my family but there was every thing in place to allow a child to grow and develop in their own way. My parents were committed to their job as Salvation Army officers, and they were always very busy. They loved their children but as Carol once said to me, our parents did not center their lives over their children. This for me gave great freedom. I never recall being asked about homework. I was responsible for tracking my work and my time management. I do not recall a major argument with my siblings or parents. Now I was the youngest child and was well loved. My sister looked after my hair until she left for college. My brother kept me in small change. In other words, I was spoiled and indulged.

My family was not demonstrative. The "I love you" that you hear at the end of every conversation was never said to each other. It is by deeds and actions that the tale was told. Public display of affection was not common. When times of stress, there was no yelling or moaning. It was do your duty with a straight back and a ready smile. But the family did and still does is help each other in any situation where help is needed. My family is the opposite of a helicopter Family, that is always hovering. As children and as adults, we were allowed and forced to make our own decisions. But all family members helped each other and still does. My sister was and is very skilled with her hands. She made all her own clothes when she was 12. She knits, and does everything else I can not do. She was a good sister to me. When my boys were young they spent time with Carol at their cottage on the lake in Ontario, just south of Owen Sound. One summer, David spent all summer up there. I was in a car, driving to a meeting. One or the folks in the car has five children, all either at college or working. In that three hour drive, she talked on her cell phone at least ten times. I finally got fed up with these inane conversations, so I asked her why she talks to her children so often. The response was that they were a very close family, and they like to keep in touch. "Nonsense", says I. " You are not allowing your children to think for themselves". Well, that did not happen to our family. And for that I am eternally grateful!! Now...Happy Birthday Carol.

No comments: