Wednesday, May 14, 2008

May 14, 2008. Canyon Lake, Texas. An Older Couple.

How do these folks get through their days? We are in Baltimore, waiting in the long line to go through security. Now in recent years the security checks are efficient, but not yesterday. We were back to the old days or just post 9/11 where the travelling people lines were long and the checking people lines were short. So I had a lot of time to watch. Our line seemed to stop moving, so I tried to find what I could do to get things moving, or at least switch to another line. I discovered the difficulty. Two older folks, about our age, could not seem to figure out the system. Now while waiting to move along these lines there were many posters explaining the procedure, but somehow they did not pay attention. Finally after about 8 minutes, the officials asked them to step aside so the others could bet past. First they tried to go through with their shoes on, then without removing their jackets. The third time she had her purse on her shoulder, so back she went. He thought he was finally finished, but no, his belt had to be removed. And the final indignity was he had sent his boarding pass through with his jacket. Now this behavior was common several years ago, but not today. Have they never flown before? They seemed to be a very pleasant middle class couple who were well dressed. I bet they are going to tell all their friends all the trouble they had at security. I certainly hope they have a sense of humor. But I still ask myself, "How on earth do these people get through their days."

No comments: