Sunday, December 14, 2008

December 14, 2008. Chevy Chase, Md. Jobs 2

My summer at the Trust Company taught me several things. I learned that the girls were interested in doing their job only. I learned that a new person doing a job can always figure out how to perform the task easier and quicker. I told the girl I was replacing all the changes that made the job more efficient for me, but the girl did not want to hear it. Now I got along with these girls very well, but what I should have done was to tell the bosses, because they could have fired half the girls and get the tasks done, but of course I just did my job and kept it in my memory bank. Of course, as business machines became more complicated, that department must have been totally changed. New brains make for better systems, and rewards for behavior you want pays off, that's what I learned.

At another job, I learned that even though you could do everything right and worked very hard, success may not come your way, at least not every day. I worked on weekends, which was Friday night and Saturday, in the clothing department that sold good casual clothes for women, at Eaton's, a large store in downtown Toronto. I was in the twelfth grade. Several students worked there, also several teachers supplementing their income. We had fun together, and we all did well and worked hard. At the end of the day, we were required to turn in the list of our sales. One Saturday, at mid-afternoon, I realized that even though I had been working hard, I had sold nothing all day. It wasn't that I was goofing off either. That day, no one I was helping with their purchases, wanted to buy anything. I started to try harder but the more I tried, the worst it went. I turned in my blank list to my Supervisor, who looked at my list of sales. She said to me, " How did you manage to work all day and not sell anything at all? You are usually the top salesperson of everyone." I had to answer her truthfully, and say that I had no idea. What I learned from that job was that when in sales, sometimes the sales do not come, even though you have tried very hard. Now this simple little job where I failed only one day out of about 8 months was a big help for my Real Estate career. And I learned while I was in the twelfth grade.

No comments: