Monday, December 22, 2008

December 22, 2008. Canyon Lake, Texas. Hedonist.

Here at the lake the temperature outside is 36 degrees F. The ranch last night went down to 20, so we did what all prudent people would do. We drove over to the lake this afternoon. Tomorrow morning we had to come anyway, because the presents for the children were at the lake, so we had no option than to come over to get the gifts. Ken was anxious to check on the water troughs at the ranch, so we drove out on Sunday afternoon before dark. Arriving at the ranch is always a great pleasure, but last night was just too cold. Perhaps our clothes are not good enough, or the house took too long to get warm, but I got chilled and never really got warm. I read all morning and then after lunch I suggested we head over to the lake to have a hot tub. This just takes the cake; to indulge ourselves to this level that we change our plans to get warm in the hot tub. The worst thing is , in my haste to pack up, I left two shirts that match the vest and jacket and pants that I had intended to wear to Christmas Eve church and Christmas Day. Hedonistic behavior always costs. Now I have two choices. Go shopping or borrow a shirt from Suzanne. I have already borrowed a pair of shoes from her, when my shoe fell apart at the party on Saturday night. How can the sole of a shoe just break apart? Now I am going to borrow a shirt from her to wear under my vest and/or jacket. Suzanne is six feet tall and weighs about 135 pounds, so the shirt might not fit well, but no one will notice I bet.

It is always interesting to me, the question of when a person indulges themselves and when they do not. For the most part, I was brought up to pay little attention to myself, but to just do my duty and do my best, so many acts that folks do and for themselves seem ridiculous and hedonistic. And then every so often the self indulgence just takes over, and we come to have a hot tub just so we can feel better. I suppose the desire to treat oneself is bred in the bone. Several times in my life I have met good folks who are just not interested in anything at all except their own lives and their own family. I guess the term is ego-centric. They seem to do well enough with their life and their careers, but it always seems to me so very boring. But then again, there I am, driving all over the state just to have an early hot tub. Humans are so very complicated.

No comments: