Tuesday, December 2, 2008

December 2, 2008. Jackson, Ms. Art Studios.

At least eight people were hard at work in the studio. Two young women were putting glaze on the birds and the rest of the folks were packing up the articles for a coming Mistletoe show in town. The first studio we visited was held in a small house which was jammed with beautiful birds and Nativity groupings of all sizes. They were charming. When we left I told Kate that it was quite remarkable that we did not break any objects. So many good folks all making their living from the sale of these beautiful birds is quite unusual, it seems to me. They make 100 ornaments of red birds, and they told us that they will be sold out by mid December. They have Nativity scenes in all sizes and again I am told they were all gone by Christmas. The artist was not even there. Of course we bought a bird for each girl, to be given to them on Christmas Day.

The next stop was a gallery and studio in Clinton, a small town west of Jackson and the home of Mississippi College. The artist and his wife were there. We had a delightful time talking to them. Wyatt Winter is a fine artist who paints mainly with watercolors. He also has illustrated several books about Christmas and Mississippi, so of course I purchases one of his books for each girl to be given at Christmas. We bought a small original of an old pickup truck with a Christmas tree in the back, with a boy standing by the side. It is very sweet. Of course I have no place to hang it, at least not yet.

The Frog's Legs is where we ate lunch, which was excellent. The Art Museum of Jackson was next in line and all six of us were weary by that time, but my goodness, it was wonderful to see all these artists from Mississippi. The had four rooms called the Mississippi Story, so that was the only part of the Gallery we entered, because every work of art was by artists from Mississippi. We all enjoyed the show, and arrived home in time for Molly to nap in the afternoon from 3:30 to 5:00. I am not sure whether or not the girls really did enjoy the art appreciation day or whether they just got to stay away from their school books for another day, but they certainly seemed to enjoy the day, and so did we.

2 comments:

B Nettles said...

I'm glad that you found Wyatt and Vicki in the shop. I went to school with them and enjoy talking about life and light with them. Wyatt is really into light and color, and I'm a physicist, so we get along great. Several years ago he was leaning to a purple or violet pallet; he saw it after I pointed it out and we had fun discussing why he might have started leaning toward that. I think he has brightened things up in recent years.

I especially like Wyatt's style, so I'm overly critical of other watercolors ("it's not a Wyatt Waters").

I lived in Clinton for 23 years and just moved a few years ago. Still have lots of friends there, so I'm glad you enjoyed the visit.

Rambling with Ruth said...

We also like watercolors and both enjoyed both Vicki and Wyatt. Ken especially spent half and hour talking with Wyatt, in fact have commissioned a work from him.

How did you stumble on my web log? It certainly is not prominent...Ruth.