Friday, December 21, 2007

December 21, 2007

Today is the first day of Winter.  I enjoy this weather in  Puerto Vallarta.  

It is unfailingly interesting to watch people in the Mall.  Today we went to the small shopping mall in the resort area, and as Ken had shopping to do in the drug store, and no family member enjoys shopping with Ken I stayed out in the restaurant area and watched the people stream by.  I noticed that all the local people were wearing long sleeved shirts and long pants,even the the temperature was 75 degrees.  Even the children were in winter clothes.  The tourists were in shorts and T shirts.  So it is really winter clothes time to those folks in Mexico.  They probably think we are daft.

The other observation was that some people wear ridiculous clothes.  When they are a bit overweight they wear too tight clothes.  The young girls here are very sweet, but how on earth can they get their jeans on.  They are so tight they must be poured on .  And I continue to see ladies of all ages wearing high heeled shoes, even when they are in casual clothes.  Sometimes I am dismayed to think that we have not made many advances from the days of the bound feet days in China.  It was a fascination fifteen minutes for sure, but brought all my feminist thoughts to the fore.

I'm reading a good book.  Dave and Irene, my brother and sister-in-law, give us books for Christmas, so we brought them with us here.  Water For Elephants,by Sara Gruen is a good read, and I am enjoying it.

2 comments:

AJD said...

This is from MFD : Hi Grandma! How is it in Mexico? I think those paragraphs that you wrote are great.
Is there holly and mistletoe in Mexico? Did you go down the slide? I suspect the answer is no. Hee Hee, just a silly question. Have you seen the animals at the zoo? Is there a baby monkey still there, or is it grown up? Have you seen any whales or dolphins?

AJD said...

This is from LKD : Really? It isnt enjoyable to shop with Grandpa? I noticed also the girls in Mexico are really skinny! I could not tell if they were sweet because they were yapping in spanish. Bye!!!!!