Friday, June 13, 2008

June 13, 2008. Double D Ranch. Top House.

This is such a lovely home. All day I have not left the house, rather I am being busy getting organized to move over to the lake house tomorrow, then to San Antonio on Sunday and home to the apartment on Monday. We have been here in the Top House for a full week, which I think is the first time we have been here for that length of time. We are always coming and going. With the computer access via satellite , we function very well and we have enjoyed our week here.. The Hill Country is in the midst of a drought so everything is brown. Once there was a seven year drought. No rain fell in any significant amount during that time. That was in the early 1920's. I can't imagine trying to run a ranch and farm with no rain for seven years. No wonder people moved to California.

We now have two major projects. Highway 281, that takes us from San Antonia to the Lake is the only continuous highway from Mexico to Canada. We have decided to drive the whole length of the highway. Ken has been looking up information on the Internet, but it seems that no one drives that highway anymore. But we are going to do it. The only question is when and how. We do not want to make a round trip, so we will rent a car and drop it off at the end. There are lots of problems with the endeavour, but we will figure it out one problem at a time. Maybe next year or the year after would be the best. The second project is to drive just east of the Rockies all the way up through Canada. We have drives many parts of that trip, but never at one time. This is Ken's idea, and I think it is a worthy project.

I do not know if we are just peculiar or that everyone does what we do. I am always trying to figure out what I should be doing next. Ken will indulge me sometimes, especially when the topic is travel, but I can not stop trying to figure out the future. A lot of time I am trying to figure out what I should be doing today to plan for the future, so my path will be smooth. I have always assumed that everyone does this, but when I mention this to other folks, they look at me very strangely, so perhaps it is really us that are the peculiar folks. I'm already thinking about what I am likely to be able to do in my eighties, and here I am just turned seventy. I do discipline myself sometimes by keeping myself in the present, and that works very well at work, but when we are away, I worry through the future for everyone I love. I must be daft!!

No comments: