Wednesday, June 25, 2008

June 24, 2008. Chevy Chase, Md. Staff Lunch

Are there any Secretaries left in this world? In the olden days, Secretaries Day was celebrated every April, where the boss took the staff members out for lunch, I suppose to show the staff their appreciation. I have been a manager since 1987, and for some reason, I always forgot the celebration, until I would be reminded by Regina and Carol E. We started to celebrate the day in June, because, by then the restaurants were not so full and of course I always forget in April. Of course, the name changed too. The celebration in April is now Staff Appreciation Day, but we still always celebrate in June. Today was the day we all went out for lunch. In 1988, the first year we held our event, we were a staff of 3 and me. Yesterday, when we dined at Bice, we were a group of 17. But not a Secretary in the group.

One year we were having such a good time, I suggested that celebrating twice a year was a good idea. Of course everyone agreed, so we celebrate together for my Birthday in December, and then again in June. Regina always chooses the restaurant and she likes to go to very nice places. Today we ate in a private dining room, with three tables, so the conversation was easy and lively. Our last event was at Morton's, and before that, I can not remember. But the staff members remember and are grateful. High standards are very easy to talk about but very difficult to implement over time. Fortunately, once the pride of accomplishments in set in the group, it seems to carry everyone in the group along. No question, our staff members now do a very good job, and for that I am grateful.

No comments: