Saturday, August 16, 2008

August 16, 2008. Western Head, N.S. Organization

The most important part of organizing an event is to decide what you want the event to be like, at first in general, and then the specifics, but still all in your head and your discussions with your spouse. When the event is clearly in your mind as to what your want, now take pen and paper to map out the events. Now I am 20 months prior to the event. I knew that some folks would come for two full weeks, some for the long weekend and more for the weekend itself, so I started to map out the events for the weekend, and decided on dinner at our home Friday and Sunday, hot dog roast at the Cottage on Saturday at noon, the party and dinner dance Saturday night, and Brunch on Sunday. I decided to serve dinner every night at our house, so that as people arrived in Liverpool, they would have the opportunity to meet and greet the children and other relatives and friends. So now the event is all set in my mind. Now all I must do is fill in the blanks. The hardest part is the thinking through of the event and deciding how you want the event to proceed through the celebration. Several folks have asked if I knew if the event would be as wonderful as the event turned out to be. I responded correctly that I was very pleased that every one was happy with the parties, but it all turned out exactly as I had expected it would be. In other words, I started with my thinking process with the event as the final product, then it was merely putting together all the pieces of the puzzle.

Next I made a tentative guest list, and projected the numbers who were potentially likely to attend. Then I contacted the locations for the party and brunch. White Point Resort could only accomodate me for the Saturday the 9Th of August, so that fixed the date for that weekend. Lanes Privateer Inn could do the Brunch, and the Caterer was available for the weekend and for several days before and after the weekend. So now I am set for the events and the locations for the events. My time period is 18 months prior to the event. Next I booked accomodation for those coming from out of town. I booked four different cottages close to my house, all seven of the rooms in the Morton House Inn in Milton, three rooms in the Left Bank Bed and Breakfast, and a block of rooms at Lanes and White Point. So now the place to stay is set. Then I set up my files filled in the fine print. They will come next time.

No comments: