Sunday, August 31, 2008

August 31, 2008. Western Head, N.S. Labor Day.

Why do we celebrate the virtue of laboring by taking a day off work? I like a day off work as well as everyone else,but I know nothing about the origin of Labor Day, so I guess I should find out. Maybe Ken will look it up for me.

Labor Day in past years was often spent in our back yard on Franklin Street, along with the agents and their Families. The kids swam, while the adults watched and visited and ate good food. I miss seeing all the children. We miss several things about our Franklin Street home. I miss the Christmas Party at our house and I miss the back yard family picnics. Also over this season, Dave and Irene often visited with us to watch the full coverage of the U.S.Open, so we had fun watching together. In those years, the Canadian coverage of the U.S.Open was not adequate, but not any more. If we wished to do so, we could watch the tennis tournament all day and all evening. Of course, I would love to watch all the time, but other things in life intrude upon my time.

I was not pleased to have this Olympics assigned to China. But I was wrong in my assessment that the Games would be very difficult. The Games were wonderful, and I enjoyed watching as many events as I could. I just wish that more competition from many other sports had been shown. I was able to see the final gold medal game between two Chinese women in Table Tennis. My goodness but those women were quick. Every time we turned on the T.V. there was another beach volleyball being played. Now I know that these women look great, but really...how many games do I really need to watch, when I know that fencing and badminton is going on? The Canadian rowers and paddlers did themselves proud. I can never paddle a canoe again, unless I learn to get up on one knee. Soon it will be winter at Whistler. I'll be there to watch in front of my T.V. And I will love every minute.

No comments: