Wednesday, August 20, 2008

August 20, 2008. Western Head, N.S.

Yesterday was Kens 72nd Birthday. When asked by me what he wanted to do for his special day,his answer was to stay the day and night at the cottage, and go fishing with Vinal, so that is exactly what we did. We went to the cottage right after breakfast yesterday and came home today late afternoon. But the best part was when we ate a piece of Christinas cake for dessert. Now we have very few routines surrounding Kens birthday. There are many reasons for this. Ken does not like to celebrate his birthday, and he certainly does not like to be the certer of attention. Also, for years we were travelling in August, so we often forgot the dates until we got home, where we discovered that both Kens birthday and our Anniversary were long past the time when celebration was reasonable. Now that we are old and fixed in place in August, I like to celebrate both events, so yesterday we celebrated at the cottage with Betty and Vinal. Betty brought home made soup for dinner and Vinal made a bonfire to cook hot dogs. Ken was happy, except, the fishing was rained out. This is the first time this year that we have stayed over-night at the cottage. We liked it. and will do it again before the end of the season. Christina is a very good baker and every year, she makes Ken a chocolate cake. It is the best cake you have ever tasted, so for Christina to bake Ken this special cake for his Birthday is a high light of his Birthday. I enjoy it too,

Yesterday when we arrived at the cottage I went straight to the deck by the water. I took the binoculars, my magazines and a bottle of water. The first thing I heard was the sound of the loons. and what a wierd sound they make. I never saw them, but the cackle went on for several minutes. Then just a few minutes later a mink scurried across the boat ramp. Finally, a belted Kingfisher flew over to the railing just three feet away from my chair. She had a four inch fish cross-way in her beak. The bird was very startled and flew off after less than a minute, but I was thrilled to see this bird so close to me. All this occured in the first five mintes after I sat down. Nothing exciting after those five minutes, so I got to work reading my magazines. For the past two weeks, I have done nothing but talk, now I am ready to read.

But I must say, it is a little quiet around here. I had tea with Mary and Clif late this afternoon, and we three agreed that it will take a bit of adjustment, getting used to the quiet. Now Ken and I are gathering information for our trip up the 281 Highway. We are looking forward!!

No comments: