Monday, February 16, 2009

February 16, 2009. Canyon Lake, Tx. Valentine's Day.

We forgot all about it, despite the attempts in the stores to buy chocolate and cards. I was asking Suzanne if she and David exchange gifts on Valentine's Day and she said that if they want a piece of art, or something for the house, they used the day as an excuse to buy the item, then call it their valentine gift for each other but other than that, nothing special. We both decided that dining our was a nightmare as all the good restaurants were so crowded and neither them nor us is in need of chocolate. I really think it is my Father leading us away from these Special Days. He thought Mother's Day and Valentine's Day were ridiculous and was generated by the card manufacturers, wanting the buying public to buy and send cards. He also often commented about other men who paid no attention to their wives through out the year, then all of a sudden the men are throwing gifts and cards at the good wife. He said that it was his responsibility to treat his wife well all day, every day, not just once or twice a year. So in our Family, neither Mother's Day or Valentine's Day was celebrated in our Family, at least not much. Ken and I have known each other 52 years of Valentine's Days, and I must say, this year we totally missed it. I even had the wrong date on my web log that day. For several years Ken gave me chocolate, but when I discovered that he was eating all the chocolate I suggested that perhaps we should cease and desist with the chocolates. I do not recall any exchange of anything since that time, which in my opinion was a wise decision. But I really do give the credit or the blame on my Father.

This afternoon everyone from the lake house went home and the place is excruciatingly quiet. Tomorrow they go back to school. I hope I live long enough to see what these children do with their lives. It is so fascinating to watch them grow and develop and change. Last night I watched a game being played by Sarah and Abigail called Speed. It used to be called Hell, but the school won't allow the kids to call it that, so they call it Speed. Sarah has played the game many times before, and Suzanne used to play the game with her Grandmother and her brothers, but Abigail had never played it. Sarah wanted her Mother to play, but Suzanne was reading to Samantha and David was reading to Allison, so Sarah taught the game to Abigail. The first game, Sarah won, but for game number two three and four and five, Abigail was winning every game. Sarah was stunned, then irritated, then asked her Mother to play, which she did. But Suzanne beat her too. Now Sarah does very well at school and is used to beating Abigail, who does not do so well in school, and here it was, right in front of my eyes, watching Abigail shine. Her eyes were just sparkling. Both girls said nothing for a few moments, and finally Abigail looked at Sarah and commented that the reason she could win was that she has very fast hands, which is true. Now, what task as an adult will allow her with her very fast hands to make a good living? I hope to live long enough to find out.

2 comments:

dave buckley said...

Years ago Mal Allington amd I began a custom in Florida called "The Great Florida Valentine's Party". The men do all the menu planning, purchasing, cooking and serving, allowing the ladies to sit on the patio and talk. In Florida we invite any friends who are close enough to come and all the men participate. One year we had 2 men who sat on the patio and talked and did no help so they are off our potential guest list for ever.

When not in Florida the Allingtons and our friends the Mills have continued the custom in Ontario.

Mal as the only one who can cook is the driving force in the menu planning department and all the men go shopping together to buy the food and other Valentine's paraphinalia.

This year the Allingtons are in Florida and we are in Ancaster so without Mal to cook, the Mills and ourselves decided to go out for dinner on Saturday and had a lovely time. We phoned the Allingtons and much to our surprise found they were not having a party. Maybe they missed my leadership skills.

The only problem with this is that it has been suggested that since we can do it for the ladies once a year, why can't we do it more often. Sounds like Dad's theory.

Dave.

Mostly Mosaics by Martha said...

Ah, Ruth, you must print and publish your works!
Our Valentines was wonderful. We belong a dance club that holds 5 formal dances with a live band each year. This year one dance fell on this past Valentine's Day. Too fun, as we have been with this group for about 5 years; we have a good time chatting with everyone.
And, my dear Dale's present to me was to hire the basement drywall redone! As you may recall, it was about a year ago that our lovely "lower level" was totally demolish from leakage in the expansion joints. Dale did get the work area and my studio re-done, the the rest has been just a mess --- and too many things have been sitting around upstairs as there is "no room in the inn."
My mosaics continue on. I am teaching two women here at home in my studio. By the end of March, I hope to have the studio really spiffed up and offer a morning "Open Mosaic Lab." This glass work has really nabbed me!!
Take care, keep writing!

Martha