Wednesday, February 18, 2009

February 18, 2009. San Antonio, Tx. My Father.

My Father, Norman Buckley, also taught us that Mother's Day had nothing to do with him with regard to his wife, my Mother. He expected us to pay attention to our Mother every day of every year, but especially we must pay attention to our Mother on Mother's Day. My sister Carol has reminded me of that attitude of his. His own Mother was a lovely lady; everyone who knew her told me that was true, but his Father, Harry Buckley was not a good husband, other than at Mother's Day. Mother loved flowers in the house, her English background I suppose, and as soon as my Sister Carol started working, she would stop on the way home for a bunch of flowers for Mother, every other week when she was paid. I worked on weekends and often brought home a single rose for Mother's rose bowl. Our Father's edicts were taken to heart by all of us.

Ken on the other hand, had no model of how to be a good husband so he had to think through how to have a happy family. I have never discussed with Ken his attitude to Mother's and Valentine's Day. I only know that he tried to be a good son to his Mother, even though they did not get along at all. No harsh words of course, but he had a hard time being with her. In fact, whenever we visited Parry Sound. where she lived, Ken got sick after we left. I had the good fortune to be brought up in a loving home where I got along well with each family members. Even though my sister and brother have never been kindred spirits, they have supported and assisted each other through the years. My Parents would have been pleased I am sure, to be able to see their children and their families and the grandchildren. It all started with Frances Houghton and Norman Buckley, meeting at Training College. The rest is history.

1 comment:

dave buckley said...

Just to set the record straight, I was bringing flowers home to Mother while you and Carol were still in grade school.Don't remember learning it from Dad, thought it was my own idea.

Wondered also what "not kindred spirits" means?