Friday, February 20, 2009

February 20, 2009. Bethesda, Md. Home Again.

I still wonder why I am so pleased to come home to Bethesda? Just riding the Metro home from the Airport gives pleasure, watching all the different sizes and shapes you see on the trains, to say nothing of the nationalities before your eyes. I saw a young lady wearing a hat and coat that you could see in 1914. She looked great. And the apartment always looks so welcoming. I walk around the whole place, inspecting the art and the books, even to see what is on the pile to be read over the next month. And of course I look out the windows at all the trees. The trees in winter are so attractive and from my fourth floor apartment I can see all the outlines of the trunks and branches, with nary a leaf in sight. Soon a rosy glow will come to the trees, and we will know that the leaves will soon follow. My friends Mary and Clifford have always been bothered by all the traffic in Bethesda, but as I work just one mile from work, the traffic is not much problem for me. They have moved to Annapolis for the winter months, to Nova Scotia in the Summer, and to their beach house at Ocean View in Spring and Fall, all places with very little traffic which pleases them a lot. I like Bethesda and our apartment in Chevy Chase and am always happy to be back at home.

Another great pleasure that comes with returning to Bethesda is to see all the agents and staff at work. This group of people are so energetic and enthusiastic and competent that they make me smile. They also make me feel good, welcoming me back and asking about our next trip. Life comes with surprises. Sarah T. who taught me to blog has broken her back while falling with a basket of laundry. I always knew that laundry was bad for you!! Her surgery is complete and she is home recovering. Already she has attended a home inspection. Also, three other agents from other Companies I have known for many years have died, all who were younger than me. Goodness, I am becoming part of the aged well, and intend to stay that way.

Yesterday we came home on a new discount Airline, Air Tran. The decision to try that new Airline was based on several factors, but most especially the cost. Southwest has been our airline of choice between San Antonio and Washington, as they are the only direct non-stop flight, and they have been the less expensive. The cost between Southwest and Air Tran is not much different. once the charges for the seat and extras are added together, but what made the difference was the Airport. Southwest arrives in Baltimore, while Air Tran comes into National Airport in D.C. where we can take the Metro home. Even in rush hour it cost us two dollars each on the Metro, while from Baltimore it is a hundred dollar cab ride. Tes, I know, that a shuttle will take us home for thirty dollars each, but often the van is full of people, all of whom get dropped off sooner than us, so we arrive home two hours after our arrival. I was not in love with the airline. David has used them several times, but yesterday they had reverted back to all the other airlines and become surly and not customer friendly. The planes are very very crowded and the air maids were if not surly were certainly not friendly. Next time we will probably come home on Southwest where we will not have to change planes in Atlanta. Ken and I will have a conversation I am sure.

No comments: