Thursday, December 6, 2012

December 6, 2012. Canyon Lake, Texas. Birthdays.

Some people don't like birthdays, but not me.  I love them.   My day started with a cup of coffee upstairs in my bedroom, brought by Ken,  followed by reading all the greetings via e mail from my friends and relatives.  It was a treat as well as a treatment.  I loved every message.

After driving to the lake, I organized my belongings for the journey to Mississippi.   Abigail. who is thirteen,  plays on the Junior Varsity basketball team at her school so the whole family went to watch her play.   The team plays well and they won by 10 points.  Their coach is a teacher at school and also their coach.  He played football at a major college and professionally for two years before getting injured.   He towers over the girls.  He is 6'8" tall and weighs at least 300 pounds.  When he says run they tend to run and he has them playing good basketball, for an eight grade team.  It was great fun watching them play and a real birthday treat.

But the best part was going out to dinner at a Japanese restaurant.  They put us in a separate private dining room.  Of course I told them at the restaurant that it was my birthday so from then on, we had a festive dinner.  The food was great, the girls were hungry and the conversation was spirited.  We all agreed to do it again.

Now I am 75 and doing well.  I am not perfect.  I weigh too much.  But both Ken and I are walking and talking so all is well in our world.   I am very fortunate and I know it.

No comments: