Wednesday, July 31, 2013

July 31, 2013. Western Head, N.S. Stories About Storytellers.

Stories About Storytellers by Douglas Gibson is a smashing book.   As Gill said, "This book is a keeper".    It reminds me of lifting the curtain just a bit to look into the lives of the people living inside the house.  Douglas was a publisher for almost forty years in Canada and worked with many authors who became famous.   This book tells some of those stories.

I am so grateful for the Port Medway Readers Festival for putting this book and this author on the list.  On August the 24th, Mr. Gibson will read from the book, plus answer questions.  I am jealous because Ken and I will have left Nova Scotia so I will not be able to attend.   Reading about Robertson Davies and Alistair MacLeod has been worth the price of the book.   Douglas Gibson calls Alistair MacLeod the Stone Carver because every word he wrote is as if carved from stone.   As Mr. MacLeod writes one story a year, this term is apt.  The whole process of creating a book is a mystery to me, but reading this book has made it understandable.  I still have no clue where the creative part comes from.

Finding good books is not easy.   I read reviews and ask friends and relatives but I never expected to find a book of this quality at the Readers Festival in Port Medway.  I am enjoying it thoroughly.

No comments: