Saturday, July 6, 2013

July 6, 2013. Western Head, N.S. Sitting and Looking.

It was a beautiful morning today.   After a late breakfast, I took my second cup of coffee out by the pond, just sitting and looking at the fish and the beautiful flowers.   The area was all done by us.   When we bought our home, there were square concrete squares just behind a rather ugly trellis, so we fixed it.   We had natural stone installed for a patio plus a fish pond and of course, we removed the trellis.   Ken planted the flowers and shrubs.   Now it is lovely.   Our five fish now come immediately when I put in their food.  Clever fish.   In addition to the flowers around the pond, we have five lillies blooming in the pond.    Ken was working in the yard but he came and sat with me for thirty minutes,  the two of us just sitting and talking and looking at the beauty of the area.

This evening from six to seven, Ken and I sat on the deck,  sitting in the shade and looking out at sea.   The gulls gave us an aerial show.   We have several types of gulls here at Gull Bay but they are all wonderful fliers.   There were about a dozen just a bit off shore.   They sit in the water, then take off straight up to look for more fish.   They put on a wonderful display.   We have Great Black Backed Gulls and Herring Gulls.   I finally got my binoculars.

In addition, a bird was singing his heart out, sitting on the picnic table.   I have yet to identify the type of sparrow but I will soon look in the Sibley book, which is my bible.   That bird was also sitting and looking out at sea.  I did wonder if that little bird was also watching the wonders going on with the gulls?   But I will never know.

1 comment:

Mostly Mosaics by Martha said...

It all sounds so idllyic (spelling?). We spent the 4th here at home -- just Dale & I, then my sister Lucy came over with wonderful steaks. It rained and was hot and humid, but we ate inside -- totally stuffed! I made a raspberry pie (recipe from our "Cooking for Diabetics" class --- 2 c. water, add 1 pk.sugar-free vanilla pudding to coo, stir until hot & bubbly, add 1 pk. sugar free jello (same flavor as fresh fruit to add) - stir to make sure pudding & jello are mixed, cool slightly. Then add 4 c. of fresh berries. Pour into graham cracker crust shell! Cool in 'frig. Delicious! I have used this recipe with both raspberries and strawberries. Next will try blueberries!