Thursday, March 27, 2008

March 27, 2008. Chevy Chase, Maryland. Shopping.

Yesterday was a first for me. My grandaughter Kate and I went on a shopping expedition. This year for their birthday gift I gave them a shopping trip to buy anything they wanted. I thought they might want clothes or books or games, or even art. Mary Frances, who is eight, had a very difficult time with the concept, and was very anxious to buy the wrong gift and waste my money. I suggested that she choose something and I would get it, but she was still very worried. Then I asked Christina to try to find out what she really wanted but was fearful to say out loud. During a quiet time with her Mother, she finally admitted she really really wanted a Wii. We ordered it and was delivered in two days, much to her great joy. The whole family has enjoyed the game, so she chose wisely.

Kate who is eleven had no difficuly with the idea of shopping, as she needed clothes. She has grown a lot this past year and her summer clothes do not fit, so she was ready to go shopping. We all went to the Tysons Two, Gallaria. Christina and Molly the baby, along with Me and Kate did the shopping. Ken and Mary Frances walked the Mall, all three floors, and checked out the lunch options, while we shopped. At first Kate would put on an object and come out to ask our approval. I marched right into her changing room to explain the system, that when she put a garment on, the first thing to do is liik in the mirror. If you like it, then come out to show your Mother and me. Well, pretty soon she was as opinionated as can be. She was rejecting clothes right and left. Christina and I laughed that we had opened up a monster!! It was fun to see her exert herself right before our eyes. What a revelation. Both Kate and Mary Frances are very well mannered girls and a pleasure to be with. Mary Frances is more prone to speak her mind. Kate will always be polite. Yesterday was a time to really take charge, and she did it. She rejected everything white. Most things were shades of pink, except a lovely dress for church which she piched off the rack herself. It is big blue polka dots with a white background. All filmy and lovely, along with a white sweater.

We shopped for two hours, and by that time she was no longer able to make a decision. Nothing fit and nothing looked good. At the end I made some choices for her, and just snuck them in her bag. I no longer am able to buy her clothesf rom the catalogue. She now loves shopping. And best of all she discovered that she was in charge of her choices. Adn I saw it all, right before my eyes.

Ken and Mary Frances chose our lunch, Chinese, and they found a chocolate store for dessert. Of course we had to finish up the day with a bang. Molly was a perfect baby too. Yesterday morning was a first for me taking Kate shopping. Remember, I hate shopping and only shop every second years with my lady Amy. But I would not have wanted to see Kate take over her role with such relish. This is a good omen for her future.

No comments: