Sunday, March 30, 2008

March 30, 2008. Chevy Chase, Md. Cornered.

I have just come out of the shower when I see Bill Taylor drive up. The window in the bathroom is large and has no shades or shutters, so I quickly step away from the window. Ken is working on the bird feeders, and calls to Bill to come into the house. Bill walks into the house. Ken walks over to talk. Bill is a long time friend at the farm and he came by to see how Ken was doing. Now I am effectively cornered in the bathroom. Our house on the hill is isolated and the outside walls are windows, as is the master bedroom. Between the bedroom and the main room is a screen porch, with windows on both sides. When you are in the main room you can see right through the screen room into the bedroom. Mostly this is not a problem because we are isolated on the top of the hill, and during daylight hours we are both fully clothed. Until today that is.

I have a habit of laying out my clothes in the guest bedroom. Now here I am, with Ken and Bill talking in the kitchen, totally open to our bedroom, while I am stark naked and my clothes are in the other bedroom. The door is open to the bedroom too. Now folks in the country are quite proper and do not offend, and if Bill finds me still not dressed he will think he came to early to visit Ken. So what to do? I decided that if I kept very close to the wall and closed the door , I could find more clothes in the closet and dress in the closet. And I did. No one was aware of my dilemma. But for a while I was cornered in the bathroom with out my clothes. It reminds me of the time Gitta got caught without her skirt on the deck during an open house. But that is another story.

I read "The Road to Samarcand" by Patrick O'Brian. It is one of his earliest books and is a rollicking book of adventure. He wrote the Master and Commander series, the Aubrey/Maturin novels, a quite remarkable work. We have the series in Nova Scotia and David is working through them while he is there. I wonder how long it will take his to finish? Also we watched the last two discs of Brideshead Revisited. This TV series was shown in 1981, but we only watched it on Netflics. I am certainly glad I did not come of age in the twentys.. The speed with which thighs developed was excrutiatingly slow. But the photography and the acting were supurb. I am current with my magazines too, and have been since Ken had surgery. You see... something good comes of everything.

No comments: