Thursday, April 10, 2008

April 10. 2008. Harper, Texas. Modern World.

I am using a new computer. I am using a new system to access the Internet. This is a wonderful new world. This morning a very nice young man came out from San Antonio to install a dish to connect to a satellite. Now we are not totally isolated here in Kimble County, Texas. The system seems to work well. It certainly is magical. Here I am typing on a new Mac computer and sending words to you via a stream to the stars and back. I love it. Sarah T. started something when she taught me how to deal with this web log. I feel as if I were fifteen with new worlds to conquer. Of course, there are downsides to being available to the world. Ken can no longer ignore his e mails at the ranch, nor can he use an excuse that the accounts have not been done because we were at the ranch. But life is simpler her with access to the Internet. And I like it.

Today at the ranch the weather is perfect. Temperature is 75 degrees F. Sky is bright blue with wisps of clouds drifting along. The sun is shining brightly. The wind is not blowing a gale, but gently keeping us cool. Perfect weather indeed. I already walked a bit this morning, and will walk again this afternoon. The cattle are taking their afternoon nap right outside the fence to the Top House, hoping we will soon give them their treats.

Once again we have an isolated house with lots of windows and no shades or shutters. I went into the powder room on the first floor, and from my perch on the commode, I looked out the window to see five pair of eyes looking at me. I laughed out loud. The cattle here and at the farm watch the people all the time. From the time you come on the property until you leave, they keep track of your actions. Of course, what they are looking for is in their best interests. They think you are going to give them some food. We do not feed the cattle at the farm, Bryan Jay looks after them, but I think they can't tell the difference. Our Longhorns have been hand fed from the beginning here on the ranch, so they wait and watch for our every move. It seem redundant, but it is true. These horns are long.

I had another first time event today too. Last evening I wrote a short note on the new computer, and today Ken transferred that small note on my Rambling With Ruth blog. More magic. More modern world that I love.

No comments: