Saturday, April 26, 2008

April 26, 2008. Canyon Lake, Texas. Women.

This is as pretty a day as you would ever want. The good folks in Scotland have never seen a day like today. Clear and sunny, light breeze, 80 degrees. Perfect outdoor weather. Sarah and Suzanne are in Dallas for the weekend. The regional prizes for the science projects are being awarded and the fourth grade class have all gone for the celebrations. Sarah is thrilled to be in Dallas alone with just her Mother .The three other girls are very well behaved with David. In some ways David is very lenient with them and in other ways he is extremely strict. It is fun to just sit back and observe the interaction. I neither Mother the girls nor discipline them. I just enjoy them. As a grandmother I have the luxury of walking away from bad behaviour.

When I first began teaching, women were paid less than male teachers. As soon as a woman was pregnant, the woman was forced to resign. When we married, the custom was for the woman to quit her job to stay home to look after the house and husband, with the expectation that children would certainly follow soon. This is not so long ago. Fifty years to be precise. I was on the side of the feminists. I believed in being paid the same salary without regard to gender . I supported women in their choice of a career. I do firmly believe that the children can not be brought up by themselves, and I separated from the feminists when they began to preach that men were the source of all women's trials and tribulations. In many ways the world for women is vastly different than 50 years ago, and in many ways the world is the same. Expectations of a young woman today are much higher than before. When I was young, people felt sorry for me because I was putting Ken through Medical School. Today, to be employed is expected of everyone. Economic responsibility was a mans job. But not anymore. I come down on the side of allowing women options, unless the children are young. And that is what I think of the role of women today, in the year 2008.

David thinks I should write my web log about business, specifically the Real Estate business. Maybe I should, because I certainly have more experience with business than feminism. But as you all know, I am very easily bored, and leaping from topic to topic keeps me amused. But we will see. David owns his own company and his Company is growing. He is interested in learning the steps that were taken by the agents and staff to go from one level of success to a higher level. Perhaps that is why he thinks I should discuss business. Probably he is just more interested in business than family.

No comments: