Tuesday, April 22, 2008

April 22, 2008. Harper, Texas. New Calf.

A new calf was born early this morning. A bit of white on it's face and white undersides, and the rest brown. It's a cute little guy. Actually, I do not know what it is, but I'm happy to have it. Very cute indeed. They stand up almost immediately and nurse soon after, then sleep a lot during the day. The Mother cow keeps the calf somewhat apart from the rest of the herd. The calf wanders after the Mother as she eats, but stays put when instructed. I wonder how they know to obey their Mother?

I always suspected that the reason my Aunt felt I favored my Grandmother Buckley was because she was a big woman!! And I was no shrimp.

Warm weather at the ranch today. I read in the bedroom until eleven o'clock. I am enjoying the Lincoln book. Ken brought me a cup of coffee at nine o'clock in bed, and I just stayed to read. Ken went to install the purple martin house down by the ranch house, so I was free to indulge myself. I am not sure if this a good thing or not. I even brought my breakfast upstairs and ate and read in my very comfortable chair. Finally I roused myself to walk down to see the new calf, but Ken was on the way up to get me, so I drove in the Mule instead. The rest of the day I did a little of this and a little of that. I walked this afternoon, counted the fish, fed the cattle their treats, watched a DVD at the ranch house so Ken could have a break from working.

Our house on the top of the property is the most self indulgent house we own. The whole house is big enough for the two of us, but not too spacious we can get lost. Our bedroom for instance is big enough to house a comfortable reading chair for both of us, a section for desk and computer, walk in closet we share, a queen size bed and our bathroom. And the best part is that we have a porch on both sides of the room, so we can sit and look at the view in every directions. We just love this bedroom. The architect who did the design work first put in two walk in closets, but we told him that we don't have enough clothes to fill one closet, let alone two. so he turned the other closet into an office with more windows. He also wanted to put in an elevator. We told him that if we needed an elevator we wouldn't be able to get here, so out it went. He did leave space though. Tonight after dinner we watched"The Merchant of Venice" out on the screen porch. We have our own theater outside, complete with lounge chairs and small screen TV. As you can see, this is a home for two. And we love it. When our friends and relatives come to visit us at the ranch, they stay in the ranch house, while we head up the hill to the Top House. It's about a half mile walk. As I said before, I don't know if indulging yourself is a good thing or not. But here in Texas at the ranch, we certainly enjoy our indulgences!!

No comments: