Monday, November 10, 2008

November 10, 2008. San Antonio, Texas. Pictures.

Yesterday, while sitting in my bedroom at the Lake, I admired and enjoyed all the Family photographs on the wall. My prim and elegant Grandmother Houghton was there along with a picture of my parents, Norman and Frances Buckley, taken when they lived in Peterbouough shortly after they retired. They looked very happy with their arms around each other, but I know that my Father did not enjoy retirement and soon took another appointment; then he died. And there is a photo of my Sister Carol and me, each holding a cat and dog, with Carol firmly holding unto my arm to keep me in place. We had visited a farm outside of Calgary, run by Salvation Army friends as a prisoner of war camp, so it must have been 1945. Of course the modern pictures are represented too, the boys as children and then their own families too, along with a wonderful picture of Ken as a baby. He was a beautiful baby. My favorite picture of all is a picture of three ladies, two young and one older, taken with just the head and shoulders with all smiling and looking happy. I am so very fortunate to have two wonderful daughters-in-law, who I love dearly, and the picture of these good folks, Suzanne and Christina, remind me how much I appreciate their presence in my life.

From the time we moved to Texas in 1964,Ken and I never lived in any town with relatives, so when the boys grew up, I collected a lot of family photographs to allow the boys to see who the relatives were and what they looked like, even if the pictures were on their bathroom walls. I liked having these pictures on the walls, so I have continued the custom everywhere. When you come to visit me, you will find photographs of our families usually assembled in one or two spots and very often in the bathroom. I like to look at the pictures of these folks old and new, and remind me of the impact on my life from their life. I have just hung the pictures from our 50Th, and they will remind me of a happy time. It was a great idea many years ago, and it is a great idea today. These photographs on my walls give me great pleasure.

No comments: