Thursday, November 27, 2008

November 27, 2008. Chevy Chase, Md. Thanksgiving Day

This is the first time since we sold our Franklin Street house that we had been in our apartment for Thanksgiving Day. It turned out to be a lovely day. Ken brought me coffee in bed, then told me when the parade was starting. I am like a child. I love to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. This year I was able to watch the whole thing. We intended to go downtown and walk the Mall, but after packing for our trip to Jackson, we ran out of time so only walked around the neighborhood, and got home just in time to shower before driving over to the Ditto's for dinner. Our former neighbors from Franklin Street came too with their son Robert, who was born when we were neighbors. Now he is a Freshman at Princeton, and is on their swim team. Their older son, Andrew, has graduated from the University of Virginia and now is learning to fly with the Air force, stationed in Pensicola. He could not come home for Thanksgiving, but will be home for two weeks at Christmas. As the Ditto's have three sons, two at College at The University of West Virginia, it made for a lively evening.

Of course, Diana is an excellent cook so the dinner was wonderful, except we all ate too much. But it was worth every calorie. The Coe Family lived next door to us for ten years. They were excellent neighbors. One year we discovered when coming in from the hot tub that the back door had locked. It was almost midnight, but I noted a light in the bedroom of our good neighbors, so over I go and knock on the door. Now I was wearing a bath robe, but nothing else. Good old Jana came down and gave me the extra key so we were able to get into our house. They are much younger than us but they look the same to me now. Both Jana and John seemed so happy and relaxed, and young. Of course, Gary and I have worked together almost thirty years and I have seen their lovely home many times but now we almost always visit with them in Pennsylvania as their place is just over a mile from our farm. Being a real estate agent, I just had to look all over their lovely home. Gary is a lucky man, with three fine boys and a lovely wife and of course he works very hard to provide for his Family. So often you hear complaints from people about their work or their spouse or family, but not Gary. He is unfailingly grateful for his lot in life. Now it is almost eleven o'clock and as we must leave at five o'clock for the airport, I must retire to bed. I enjoyed our day at home but next time we are here we must walk downtown. I promise.

No comments: