Tuesday, November 4, 2008

November 4, 2008. Mexico. A Good Restaurant.

It is difficult to go to a new restaurant with friends, unless we are paying the bill. Many times when we dine out with friends, we just split the bill and everyone is happy, but both friends know the restaurant and the quality and expense of the food. We are always reluctant to suggest dining out with friends at a new restaurant that we know is probably expensive and yet might not be good. It is our habit to go to a new restaurant with just the two of us, so we can check out the food, the expense and the service. Sunday night we dined at a new restaurant in Bucerias, Mark's Place. This place is on every ones list of best places to dine, but it is not open for lunch, the time we prefer to eat out, so we had passed it by until a time when we were by ourselves.

Sunday night was the night. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. The place is lovely, all open to the air, although half of the restaurant has a roof, with masses of plantings and trees all around. The service was attentive and pleasant. Our waiter was telling us the specials for the evening, and continued to look down to his paper in his hand, even though only two specials were on the menu. I saw him though out the evening, as he was looking after other patrons, consulting his cheat sheet for the particulars of the contents of the dishes and I was very empathetic. The meal was wonderful, all three courses full. My custom is to eat mussels in Nova Scotia, but I ate mussels as an appetizer. They were spicy and delicious. Ken ate their special of seared tuna, while I ate black olive pesto pasta with chicken. My biscoti and coffee reminded me that soon I am hoping I will be able to eat Marios Christmas biscoti, because his is better. The restaurant, Mark's Place is a wonderful restaurant and would be a welcome addition in any city in the world. It is always a pleasure to find fine food in unexpected places.

No comments: