Thursday, June 25, 2009

June 25, 2009. Bethesda, Md. Taps.

The service for Kay Schuck at Arlington Cemetery was very impressive. The soldiers in full dress uniforms so solemn and proper acting as pall bearers, along with the honor guard with the military gun salute were a fitting end of Jay's life. As I said to Susan, his wife, "Jay would have loved every part of the service". The women who assist in the organization at Arlington are all volunteers and they are efficient and pleasant and empathetic. I was very impressed and of course, just being in the cemetery with all the rows of white crosses gives you a sense of gratitude. The most moving part of the ceremony was Taps, played by one of the military band members, from a distance, so the sound wafted across the air, reminding us that Jay has gone. It was a moving ceremony and a fitting tribute to Jay.

Of course, my memory of Taps begins with Larry. It was a wonderful sound, wafting through the air every night at the end of every day. Larry played flugal horn and I never knew if he was a good player or not, but when he played Taps every night he sounded like the best brass player in the world. I was at camp, in British Columbia, at Hopkins Landing, the Salvation Army camp on Burrard Inlet. I attended both Music camp and Guide camp, and as Larry was the chore boy for several years during the years that I attended, I got to hear Larry playing Taps every evening. It was a beautiful sound. At least it was in my memory. Now every time I hear Taps I am reminded of Larry, who is also dead. Back then, he was full of fun and he was my sister's boy friend. Perhaps that why he played so well.

No comments: