Wednesday, June 3, 2009

June 3, 2009. Jackson, Ms. Hardware Stores.

I was in heaven. Ken had a list of items to buy at the Hardware store, and I chose to sit outside in the truck and await his return. I was in heaven for two reasons. First, Patsy Cline was singing and I love to hear her sing. While driving home with Andrew and Ken from Hattiesburg, we loaded all four of her Cd's into the machine and we started in to listening to them all. I got to hear more of her singing today, while listening all by myself sitting in the truck with the windows open and the volume turned up. I was in heaven. Secondly, I did not have to go into the hardware store. Left to myself, I would never go into a hardware store. On the other hand, Ken loves them, so over the years I have spent many many minutes wishing I could get out of the store. The largest hardware stores are the most difficult, because we get lost and end up calling on our cell phones. Now I learned to just stay out in the car and wait. And enjoy Patsy Cline.

Most customers going into the Hardware store were older men, older retired men I mean. They come up to the door with list in hand, but before going in the door, they check out all the items on display outside. Every lid of every cooker must be opened, and every handle of every spreader checked out for size. Then these old men look at every window in the store, just to see what is being missed. Finally, they go into the store proper and leave the store five minutes later, with one tiny bag that costs one dollar. But before departing, they again check out the grills and the cookers, just in case their own cooker breaks down. They even look at every price. It is fascinating to watch this activity, but I did wonder if they ever noticed why this old lady, sitting in this truck, was playing all these Patsy Cline songs so loudly. They probably told their wives about that scene at dinner tonight.

1 comment:

Joe Rubin said...

Ask Ken if he remembers W.S. Jenks Supply in downtown Washington D.C.

Now THAT was a hardware store.