Saturday, April 13, 2013

April 13, 2013. Harper, Texas. The New Criterion.

I do not think that I have ever had a discussion  about Demosthenes?   And I have never read May Sarton's Journals  nor had thought much about the solitary life.   The section on the music scene in New York is worth the price of admission all by itself.  Just from this March edition I have listed three books that were reviewed that I would love to read.  Mary Soames has published a new memoir of her life with her father Winston Churchill which sounds entrancing.  All this new information I read today in the March edition of The New Criterion.

One reason I enjoy this magazine is because most things are new to me.  Today brought special joy because I had nothing else to do except read the magazine.  It is not particularly easy reading, but I loved it.   My habit is to begin at the end and read the book section first.   And I work backwards.  Every month when reading the music section by Jay Nordlinger I wish again that I was wealthy and could live for just a season to attend all the concerts.  But I live vicariously and enjoy each event.

I have been saving this time when I could read from morning to night and read every article of my New Criterion.  John Mills brother, Wilmer Mills, who died last year had a new poem published in this edition so perhaps that has made this edition special.  Of course, my eyes have given out, but it has given me much reading pleasure today.  It is a great magazine.

No comments: