Sunday, April 7, 2013

April 7, 2013. Canyon Lake, Texas. Volleyball.

The standard of the volleyball games was high, especially for girls in the 8th and 9th grades.  I was astonished at the caliber of their play.   Starting at 12:30, Sarah and Abigail played in a volleyball tournament.   It was club volleyball.   For me, it was a wonderful event,  because at any time throughout the afternoon and evening, I could watch volleyball games.  Four courts were active all the time so if our team was not playing, there were four other options.  We finally got home at 9:00.  I think I had a better time than anyone.

Our club team is primarily the same team from school but many of the other teams are not associated with a school at all.   The first game I saw was a neighborhood team and were mostly Hispanic.  They wore red shorts and man, could they play.  We left before the final was over but it looked as if they would win the tournament.  But all the teams played well and they all looked like volleyball players with their skin tight shorts and long sleeved tight shirts.  And of course, every girl wears knee pads.  Everyone was enjoying the games, whether they were winning or losing.  That is one of the virtues of sports.  When the game is over, life continues on it's merry way, whether you won or lost.

It was quite an event.  12 teams in the tournament with each team guaranteed three games.  4 games being played at the same time.  Massive numbers of parents and friends were there to cheer on their team so the gym was packed.  Referees, linesman, score keepers were all at the ready.  I loved every minute and both Sarah and Abigail played well.  I did discover that neither of my grandchildren were perfect.  What a shock!!

No comments: