Wednesday, April 24, 2013

April 24, 2013. Harper, Texas. Paintings.

All day I stayed in the house and all day I enjoyed the paintings.   Right now I am sitting at the desk in the small area of our bedroom and right over the desk is a wonderful painting of an outdoor skating rink  in Montreal with ten boys playing hockey, with other children playing in the piles of snow just behind.  In the background you see the cathedral and several houses.  It is beatifically painted and definitely reminds us from growing up in Canada.  The scene pleases me.

Downstairs in the main room we have painting from the west of Canada.  One looks similar to Lake Louise but it is not, but it is just as beautiful.   That painting is hung over the buffet and you see it the moment you enter the house.  On either side are Texas flowers, all in oil.   Another from the Canadian west is on the hall just outside the powder room and is a picture of a lake and trees, a scene you have seen many times before in real life.    A large moored sail boat was painted in Australia and hangs over the mantel.  It reminds us of the Gulf of Mexico and Galveston.

I especially love miniatures and have them all hung in the powder room.    They are all Texas scenes except one piece I purchased in Victoria called tooling.  It is always interesting to me that visitors go into the powder room to use the facilities and return without saying a word about the miniature pieces of art.  I am always inclined to send them back in to see the art.

Today I looked at the paintings carefully, one by one.   The rest of the time I read.  I admit that I am a lucky lady.

No comments: