Saturday, August 22, 2015

August 22, 2015. Western Head, N.S. Betty the Cook.

The meal was typically Maritime.   Once a season, Betty comes and cooks a dinner that we would not get in Texas.   The haddock she cooks is fresh, just caught in the morning.  And the fish is served with only boiled potatoes.   The sauce is made with salt pork cut up small with onions.  I don't know what else is in the sauce but it is delicious.  I served it over both my fish and potatoes although Betty told me I was supposed to use butter on the potatoes. Parchment paper lined a deep pot and the fish was poached.   The whole meal was delightful.

For dessert we were served a large square with strawberries and whipped cream, with a shortbread base.  It was light but tasty.  Betty is an excellent cook and we four enjoyed our dinner with Betty and Vinal, all cooked by Betty.   I feel fortunate that our friends are good cooks.

No comments: