Friday, August 28, 2015

August 28, 2015. Western Head, N.S. David T. Wright.

This morning, Gill, Wendy and I visited the home and studio of David Wright.  He and his wife live just along the shore, having moved here from Toronto over two years ago.  I have been so preoccupied with myself the past two summers that it has taken until now for us to meet him and to see his work.   We three spent a wonderful two hours seeing his work.   He is a wonderful artist.

I am always interested in what gets done and what is left alone.  When David and his wife first moved onto Shore Road I was not having many parties and there seemed no reason to knock on their door.  Folks would mention the artist down the road, but I would answer that I had not met him.  Finally, this summer, Gill saw David at a dinner party and he mentioned to Gill that she was welcome to visit his studio.  Last week,  while Gill had stopped by our house to say hello,  I suggested we both ask to come and see his studio.   Gill has been reluctant to visit, because his art is more expensive than we usually buy, so she feels badly to visit an artist and not buy any art.  I assured her that David would love to have us visit to see his work, so immediately, Gill phoned him for an appointment.  Our date was today at 10:00.  He was gracious on the phone.

And he was gracious in person too.   His wife is away visiting her parents but David toured us through the house, all the while seeing his work, which are displayed throughout.   It was stunning to see the expertise on display.  I am so sorry it took us so long to view his work but I am delighted to have met him now.   We have yet another artist in our midst.  And I am delighted.

No comments: