Saturday, January 12, 2008

January 12, 2008, Texas Lake House

Today I am a happy camper.  David and Suzanne, Saral, Abigail, Allison and Samantha are all under one roof at the lake.  It makes a grandmother smile.

My days at the ranch are full of self directed activity.  Every day I walk on the property for an hour or so.  Every day I read.  Every day we feed treats to the longhorn.  I look to see how many fish we have in the water tank.  When we bought the ranch the old windmill did not function. Now it does, so the water that the windmill pumps runs into a large water tank.  It is old too, and it also did not hold water.  But Ken fixed it and now the tank holds water, and the water runs over to the trough for the cattle.  When the weather was very hot in June one year, I and our friends Pat and Mal Allington swam in the water tank.  It is about 20 feet across and 8 feet deep,so there is plenty of water to cool down.

We first put 8 fish in the tank...4 gold fish and 4 grey perch.  The after a year we counted 24 fish.  Six months later we found 7 goldfish and 1 perch.  And  six ago we found one very large perch in the cattle trough.  What is going on with these fish?  Now we have 7 goldfish and one perch with one very large goldfish.  I do no longer swim in the tank.  I do not go to Texas so late in June.  The fish are too big.

Every night at the top house I read the writings for that date from this book given to me by my cousins husband.  It is an anthology of the greatest diarist's, edited by Irene and Alan Taylor.  "The Assassin's Cloak" is the book.  Great read, but I only allow myself to read from that date.  I have just read "The Kite Runner".  And finished another Christmas book, which I will not recommend.  I catch up on all my periodicals.  We have all the Hornblower series so when I run out of new I turn to our library.

We have dinner with our friends at the ranch.  And we do like all good Texans, we drive to Junction or Kerrville or Fredericksburg just for lunch.  And of course we have to get our mail at the post office in Harper.

It certainly does not seem to make for a full day.  But It keeps me happy.

No comments: