Tuesday, January 1, 2008

January1, 2008 Mexico

It really all began January 1, 1956.  That day a group of us, organized by me and Gord Fairbank, spent the day skating on the frozen canal in Peterborough, Ontario.  We  were a group of about 20, and the  plan was to visit the Gibson Family for dinner and skate , leaving for home about 9 o'clock.  We played hockey, skated, played hockey and skated,ate dinner and drove home.  Nothing seemed too significant.  But everything changed for both Ken and me.  Before that day all I knew about Ken was that He was skinny kid from Parry Sound who was working for a year before he went to University and then Medical school.  Several days later I received
 a letter from Ken telling me that I had the qualities he wanted in a wife, and that I should get read, because some time he was going to ask me to marry me.  I laughed out loud, and couldn't conceive of the audacity of this young man.  But we have been a pair from that day to now.

The celebration last night was wonderful in every direction.  Now I wish every one of you a happy and healthy new year. 

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Happy New Year! I've also been following your blog with great interest and feel like I'm getting to know you better.

I always wanted someone to discover me and say that they wanted me in their life. Your story about Ken is great!