Friday, August 7, 2009

August 7, 2009. Western Head, N.S. Naps.

I always wonder if taking a nap is a benefit or a deficiency to ones general health and welfare. I do know that when I have finished lunch and settled down for a long quiet time of reading, my eyes begin to droop and soon I slump down on the couch for a twenty minute nap. Today I got smart and directly after lunch instead of starting to read, I made myself comfortable on the couch, covered my legs with a light quilt and lay on the couch expecting to nap. Of course I only thought about napping, wondering if this nap is good for me or not and whether I should spring up and get working or continue my rest. After all, at work I have no nap and I don't feel the need to lie down. And when we are travelling in the car I don't sleep after lunch. Several famous people have written about their need of a nap every day in order to keep their intellect sharp. but I wonder of this is really true. I don't recall any studies on the impact of a nap on either productivity or intellect. I am left to wonder, "Is this good for me or not"?

I know that many friends of my general age always take a nap. When I do decide to take a nap I always nap by the clock. I look at my watch and decide how long I am intending to keep my eyes closed. Depending on the evening ahead, I rest for twenty minutes or thirty minute even though I am not asleep. I just close my eyes and keep myself still. I know that by itself is good for me. I can carry on for many more hours at full bore with that bit of rest. When I went loopey, a thirty minute rest morning and evening allowed me to function at a higher level. Even when back at work, I brought a cot into the office so I could do the same. Several folks have suggested I should bring back the cot to the office, because they also lay down every now and then. I didn't even know anyone used it other than me, so I took the cot back to the farm, mainly to tell myself that I no longer needed to nap during the day. Regina wants me to bring it back to the office so I guess I will do it. The pillow is still at work. It is a wonderful luxury to take a nap in the middle of the afternoon but I always wonder if I should.

No comments: