Sunday, August 9, 2009

August 9, 2009. Western Head, N.S. Wallace Macaskill.

Serendipity, that's what it was. Gill called at fife o'clock tonight, her voice full of excitement. Could she come over to give us a gift, right now. We are picking her up at just before six to go to dinner at Mary and Walt's home, but she could not wait any longer. So over she came and indeed, her gift was wonderful and surprising. Yesterday morning I knew nothing about this photographer, but now I am the proud owner of a signed copy of a photo, taken by Wallace Macaskill, of the lighthouse in Peggy's Cove, taken in the thirties and colored by his wife. The frame is original. The photo was in the same family home until the estate settled just recently. Now it is in my home. I am so pleased and excited.

Saturday morning, Gill and I toured the Sherman Hines Photographic Museum and The Rossignol Center, both in my town of Liverpool. Both places I have toured several times, but every time I learn something new. We spent a lot of time in a room with information and artifacts about two photographers who lived and worked in Nova Scotia. One of them was Wallace Macaskill. His work was very familiar to both of us. His photo of The Grey Dawn is seen everywhere on cards and prints. He published two books during his lifetime, both of which Ken will try to track down on the Internet, "Lure of The Sea" and "Out of Halifax". It was exciting to see signed photographs of him right in front of our eyes in the gallery. Today at an antique store in Mahone Bay, Gill spotted this photo and bought it on the spot, without even a discussion of price and brought it straight over to our home. I was so excited to see it. Now after Ken changes the wire, it will hang on my wall in a protected spot out of the direct sunlight. This was nothing less than serendipity.

No comments: