Saturday, April 24, 2010

April 24, 2010. San Antonio, Tx. Softball.

Softball is such a difficult game to learn. A beginning player must learn so many complex skills in order to play competently, let alone understand the strategy of base running and fielding. It is one thing to be able to catch and throw the ball, but then what do you do with the ball when you catch the ball cleanly? It is not nearly as easy a game as Volleyball.

Sarah is playing on a softball team at school. She is in the sixth grade, and as the team is the middle school team made up of the sixth, seventh and eight grade girls, she does not start the games but she usually plays part of each game. Last Thursday I saw her team in action for the first time and I enjoyed it a lot.

Her Volleyball team was a sixth grade class, representing the school in competition. The coach wisely taught the girls two skills; the bump and the serve. By the end of the season, they were winning all their games, finally winning the tournament championship. Several parents were upset at the lack of additional skills taught by the coach, but I thought it was excellent training. They won all their games with defense, except the serve, which was their only offensive play. The girls were confident and competent in those two skills. They never raised their hands over their heads.

I suspect that the same type of tactic does not work for softball. A player must be able to catch and throw the ball and hit the ball with the bat when pitched. One girl must be the pitcher and one the catcher. Finally, a player must throw the ball to the right base. It is really very complicated and clearly, these middle schools have a long way to go. But they are energetic and enthusiastic and they look great in their uniforms. I tried to figure out how to teach the skills sequentially but could not figure it out. I played many many softball games in my youth and I loved it, and so will Sarah. Being me, I also wanted to make suggestions to the coach, as of course, I used to coach softball fifty years ago!! But I kept my mouth shut and just kept cheering, even though the coach was giving instructions that were way too complicated.

I must say, that the same parents who complained about the volleyball coach for not teaching enough skills were now telling me that this softball coach is teaching so much to the girls that the girls get confused. Parents are never happy.

1 comment:

Rambling with Ruth said...

Next year, Sarah's younger sister will attend the same school and will want to play softball. Abigail can already hit a batted ball well out of their large yard, so I suspect she will be the player headed for greater success. However, Sarah is coachable and already walks around the house just throwing the ball into her glove. It will be fun to watch that team over the next few years. I'm afraid they will need a new coach. The opposite coach was able to keep the team focused but not confused.