Friday, April 9, 2010

April 9, 2010. Canyon Lake. Prescriptions.

Today we leave the Lake to spend the weekend in San Antonio, also to pick up yet another prescription for me. I knew no good was to come from all those tests last week, and sure enough, I must add another to my list. Now I am not surprised by this. My Father suffered from Diabetes and Heart Disease, and the first question I am always asked is "Does anyone suffer from high blood pressure, diabetes or heart disease?" All medical personnel are surprised to discover that I have none, nor my brother or sister have any symptoms of the disease. At least until now.

It seems I have PVC spikes in my heart beat, and when this happens, my heart misses a beat. The good thing is that I have normal variation in beats per minute and I have no pause after these spikes. They are also not clustered. These are all good things. Because they occur 11% of the time all day and night, the good Doctor is putting me on a very small dose of Toprol, taken nightly before bed. Ken takes the same medication, but 4 times stronger.

This situation is congenital and if the disease is diagnosed in the young can cause serious problems, but in the elderly, meaning me, it seldom causes problems. So I say "Thank you Dad", and thank you EKG, now head to the Pharmacy.

No comments: