Tuesday, December 6, 2011

December 6, 2011. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. Birthdays.

 People spend a lot of time and effort  celebrating birthdays.   I like them and I enjoy celebrating   with friends and family,  but Ken and I don't pay much attention to our own birthdays.   When he was a boy, his Mother made a big fuss on his birthday so he tends to associate birthdays with something unpleasant.   For years after we married, his birthday in August always meant we were traveling home to Toronto and forgotten the date so we would arrive home to discover that we had forgotten his birthday and our anniversary.   Our pattern was set early which was to go out to dinner to celebrate both events.

We had no money to spare so we never exchanged gifts either, something we still don't do.   I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing but it works for us.   A friend once told me how upset she was when her husband had forgotten her birthday.  My suggestion was to tell him a few days ahead so he can't possibly forget.   Many years ago,  Ken and I were flying to Winnipeg to attend our niece Darlene's wedding.  While filling out the Immigration form on the plane,  Ken showed me the date.  I just commented on the number.   It wasn't until I heard my sister-in-law say "Happy Birthday Ken", on the phone that I realized my error.  Ken may not enjoy a fuss on his birthday, but he does want you to notice it!!

No comments: