Thursday, December 8, 2011

December 8, 2011. Playa Royale, Mexico. James Madison.

His home is just a few miles from the home of Thomas Jefferson, and is also open to the public, but I have never visited the home of James Madison.  Now that I have read this new biography, we will certainly make a visit to Montpelier, as we have toured Monticello several times.    I enjoyed the book because although I knew what Madison had done and written,  the details of his life and loves were vague.  Now I know it all.

One small point in the book is the description of the war of 1812 as seen in the US and in Canada and Britain.   I studied the war while living in Canada and I studied the war while living in the US and I can tell you that I learned about a different war.  Not only the goals but also the results were taught differently.   It amused me at the time but the author spells out the reason for the dichotomy.    It is an example of the writers style which is simple and direct and sparse.

It is another in the long list of books published about the Founding Fathers and a good addition to the library.

No comments: