Tuesday, August 12, 2014

August 11, 2014. Caledonia, N.S. Readers' Festival.

Terry Fallis was a new author to me, so I was pleased to hear him at the Readers’ Festival Saturday evening. As usual, the event was well attended. In fact The Old Meeting House was packed to the gills. I had not read Terry Fallis because he writes homour. His first book, published in 2008, The Best Laid Plans, won the Leacock Medal for Humour. It is interesting to note that his first book was self published. He put the book, chapter by chapter, on You Tube for free. It was a hit and McClelland and Stewart have been publishing him ever since. His fourth book was published in May, 2014, No Relation. For a writer, his background is unusual. His degree from McMaster is in engineering, although he admitted he has not worked a day as an engineer. But he admitted that he has an engineering mind, which he says shows in his writing. He discussed his works and read from his latest book, which was funny indeed. I purchased all his four books but have yet to read them, because I want to read them in order. Ken is reading the first and although he did not laugh out loud, he said the book is funny. Ken must have enjoyed it because if not, he would have returned the book to me. This was the last event for the 2014 Readers’ Festival. It is an astonishing event in this tiny town on the coast of Nova Scotia. My hats are off to the committee and I wish them well in 2015.

No comments: