Saturday, February 13, 2016

February 13, 2016. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. Salmon.

There are folks in the world who do not like to eat salmon...but not me.   Salmon is my favorite fish.  My family lived in Vancouver from 1948 to 1953.    When the salmon was running, my Father would go to the dock and buy a large salmon right off the boat from the fisherman, which meant that the fish was fresh.  My Mother would bake the whole thing, wrapped in cheese cloth and we ate it that night for dinner.  It was delicious.  I have been eating salmon ever since, but never fresh right off the boat.

Before the arrival of ice and refrigerated trucks and boats, the only time we could eat salmon was out of a can.  I have friends who still prefer canned salmon.   But now we can obtain fresh salmon everywhere, thanks to ice and fish farmers.   Salmon is affordable too.

The Mega has an excellent fish department so when we shopped, I bought a large salmon and put it in the freezer.  Tonight, Rita prepared an early Valentines Day dinner of salmon, potatoes, carrots and salad.  It was a superb dinner.  We have enough left over for a lunch for salmon salad sandwiches, plus four pieces for another dinner.  This salmon was Pacific salmon and it tasted great.  I feel fortunate to be able to obtain good salmon any time of the year and in any place I live, because I love eating salmon, perhaps because my Father brought the fresh caught salmon home for dinner, all those years ago.

No comments: