Tuesday, July 1, 2008

July 1, 2008. Chevy Chase, Md. A Day in the Life of Ruth.

My days are not boring Today, my actions have gone from Sellers to Buyers to Agents, all in the midst of their personal trauma. I spoke with one of our Sellers today who was furious with his agent. Most Sellers would be grateful with the action of the agents, but not this one. The property was in the computer on Friday and held open on Sunday, with the Brokers Open today. Saturday, and offer was registered with the listing agent, and sent via fax to the Seller, who was on vacation. The agent has been working with the Seller for a month, getting the property ready for sale, making the fact sheets, taking the pictures, and spending many hours helping the Seller. Both Sellers are lawyers, but I was dealing the husband only, although our agent has been screamed at by the wife. The Sellers are furious, because the agent under priced the property. They have totally lost faith in the agent and would not sent the full priced offer back signed. I got involved this morning, when it became obvious that the situation was impossible. I listened, and listened and listened, then asked for his wishes. He demanded a new agent. No problem. He sent back the ratified contract tonight, and poor Suzanne will have to deal with him now and of course Ned and Carole..

Then another set of Sellers were in tears because, after ten days, their agent suggested the price be adjusted, of course, down. Not much to be done with that except sympathize. This couple in tears would love to have the situation of the screaming Seller, but the crying Sellers were at least very gracious. From the agent's standpoint, if two more weeks goes by, we will almost be in August, which is a much slower market that July. So they changed their price.

Our Sales Meeting was fun. We do so many silly things at sales meeting. Today we gave out two more bowling shirts. We are bowling for Billions, so the first Tuesday of the month, those who have been given bowling shirts wear them to the sales meeting. And of course I always wear a hat. Today, in honor of Canada Day, I wore a hat with a Moose on the top, wearing a Canadian flag. On tour, the houses are so well turned out and spiffy. Now I hope they are priced well.

Then the best thing that happened today occurred after I was at the apartment having dinner with Andrew, Christina and the girls. I have worked with this agent for many many years. He came over and asked me to come down to the lobby in private. I thought it was another difficult case, but no, he wanted to tell me that his girlfriend, soon to be wife was going to have a baby. I was thrilled for them and totally surprised. And that ended my long day on a very exciting note. Now we fly to Nova Scotia tomorrow, where we will have dinner with Mary and Cliff and Gill. And we will have a hot tub while listening to the sea. Now that is a little bit of heaven!!

No comments: