Thursday, July 10, 2008

July 10, 2008. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Housework.

The dinner at our home was a great success. Joyce and Bill will be back for our 50th, so I wanted them to meet some of our local friends, so when they return, they know at least some other folks other than our Toronto friends. Instead of one long table, I set two separate tables, and then asked the couples to sit at different tables. In one way, the inclusiveness is a plus when we all sit together at one long table, actually, two tables placed together and covered with table clothes, but in another way the conversation is easier, because everyone can hear all the conversation at your table. The two table set up seemed to work well last night. The conversations were lively and spirited and every one seemed to have a good time. It is always difficult to seat large groups at dinner. I am going to keep a drop leaf table right by the book shelves, in fact, we bought a new one from Barbara Jones today. The old one I keep in the garage and just bring it in for large groups.

Tonight we dined at the Mitchells with Gill. Our house guests left this morning, and I spent the rest of the day doing the laundry and making beds. Some things in our life never changes, and that is doing laundry and making beds. Death and taxes are supposed to be the requirements , but for a woman, laundry and making beds stay with us our whole life through. Now I know that Jackie could deal with the beds, but I do not like the way Jackie makes the beds, so I like to look after my own beds, and for the beds of the guests. Silly but true. I asked Gill, Clif and Mary their opinion on the two tables. Mary said that the other table made so much noise that it was hard for her to hear her own table.(Clif and I were at the noisy table). Clif liked the smaller tables, because of the ease of conversation, while Gill preferred the one long table. Ken also likes the one table. So there you have it. No unanimous decision.

No comments: