Monday, July 7, 2008

July 7, 2008. Western Head, N.S. Canada. Weather

It is quite remarkable how much cooler it is at our home by the ocean than it is in the town. I would have always assumed it would be cooler out here by the ocean, but today out at Western Head the temperature was almost twenty degrees lower than at the Super Store. The difficulty is what to wear. This morning I put on long cotton pants and a T shirt, also socks and sneakers. I was cool. But when I went to the grocery store in town the temperature was almost ninety. I was hot. Then tonight we went to a Birthday Party for Mary at the Bonds, whose house is at Moose Harbor. I assumed it would be cool, as they live just along the shore from us about two miles so I wore jeans, a shirt and another long sleeved over shirt. Guess what...It was very hot tonight at Moose Harbor and I was too hot, once again.

The good folks in town do not like the heat. They complain, and then they drive out to the loop around Western Head to cool down. The heat is such a relative thing. Today I went to see the people who run the Milton House. Several friends and relatives are staying there in August, so I was checking out the arrangements. The home is lovely with very high ceilings. They were so bothered by the heat that they had our meeting on the front veranda, so I would not be too hot. Now it seemed comfortable to me, but I always just agree, that the weather is really very very hot, and that soon the weather will moderate. Out at Western Head the breezes are always blowing, and often I feel a bit chilly, so I pull on my wool socks and fleece jacket. My local friends think I have some malady. But I do not. I just live in Bethesda, Maryland, and have been since 1970. Before that I lived in Galveston, Texas for 6 years. My blood is thin!!

No comments: