Wednesday, July 30, 2008

July 30, 2008. Bethesda, Md. Rabbitts.

This is the year of the rabbitts. They are everywhere. At the cottage in Nova Scotia, a very tame bunny lives under the deck, and sits looking at me while I walk by. Of course, there also little bunnies hopping along too, but none of them at all afraid of me. The farm also has lots of rabbits this year. Every time I go walking, I see them both near the farm house and the barn, as well as our house on the hill. Even the woods are full of them. I have been told that squirells and rabbits cycle, so right now we seem to be short of squirrils, but have many many rabbitts.

The Bedford Fair had a whole building of them, and they all seemed to be for sale. Kids raise them for their 4H project, then bring them to the Fair to be judged and sold. No auction for the little bunnies, just for sale signs on each cage. It was astonishing how many different types of rabbitts there are in the world. We saw them all, some looking like dog ears and some looping down and 8 inches long. I never knew so many types of rabbitts existed in the world, let alone in Bedford County. For ten dollars you could a very lovely rabbitt to take home for a pet. Or you could merely sit on my porch and watch our rabbitts strole by and have them look after themselves.

No comments: